After dog sitting for P3, she was quite generous with her “thank you” gift and gave me a gift certificate for Cashion’s. I was excited because I’d never been before — and so I finally had the opportunity the other week.
- Food:To put it mildly, some of the best appetizers ever! I ordered the grilled octupus which had a great, simple grilled flavor. My friend ordered the fried oysters in grits. I’m not a grits fan (I don’t get why people like it, I really don’t. It’s just about putting a lot of butter on it and if I put that much butter on anything I ate, I’d love it too). But these were really good (probably a lot of butter). And the oysters were super crispy with a bit of corn meal. For the main, I ordered the seared tuna with black beans, mango, and cilantro. While the tuna was perfectly cooked, I thought it lacked uniqueness. And I think they forgot the cilantro because I didn’t taste it in my dish. My friend ordered the shad roe. Now I don’t know why she did, but she did. If you don’t know shad roe, here’s a photo and an explanation. And because she didn’t like it, I only got half of my seared tuna. Oh well. I ended up eating a lot of the bread since I was still hungry.
- Service: Our server was a bit too eager throughout the meal. She kept asking if we understood the menu, which is nice the first time and annoying the second and third. Perhaps we looked confused?
- Atmosphere:From the exterior, it seems like it’ll be a small restaurant. But the looks are deceiving because it’s long. Straight back on the left is a bit of an elevated bar. Then there are tables throughout. We were fortunate to get a table by the floor-to-ceiling windows so it didn’t feel claustophobic, but I could see how that could happen when those windows are closed!
- Attire: Business casual/casual
- Price: $$$
- Overall: I’ll definitely go back to try out other main courses and I hope they’ll offer those fried oysters again! That’s the trouble with changing menus — you never know if your favorite is going to be available. At the same time, you get to have new favorites! So P3, thanks for the gift certificate! Another good recommendation!
- Reservations strongly recommended.
- Hours: Mondays closed; Tues 5:30-10 PM; Wed-Sat 5:30-11 PM; Sun 5:30-10 PM; Sunday Brunch 11:30 AM-2:30 PM; Late Night Menu 12 AM-2 AM on Fridays and Saturdays
- Address: 1819 Columbia Road NW, Washington DC 20009
- Ph: 202-797-1819