I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve been to The Diner. I usually go for breakfast, but have been a couple of times for lunch/dinner.
- Food:I usually order some variation of the eggs, home fries, and toast with a side of coffee and hot sauce. They have always cooked the eggs perfectly, but if I get the poached eggs, sometimes there’s a bit too much vinegar in their water. If they serve you the hot and crispy home fries — delicious! I’ve also had their pancakes, Croque Madame, and multiple omelets. All good, diner-esque food.
- Service: The service can definitely be spotty. Some of the waitstaff are really good and others, not so much. I am judging this on how often they come by for refills on coffee.
- Atmosphere:It’s a pretty big restaurant, but it’s almost always busy. You usually see a mixture of the neighborhood eating here — cops, recent college grads, families — everyone is here. It is also really loud so be prepared to say “What” or to talk louder. Bad acoustics.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $$
- Overall:The Diner is open 24/7 and it’s clear that they definitely fulfill a niche in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. They serve solid diner food at a good price. They also have a liquor license. If you want to avoid the lines on Saturdays and Sundays, go before 10! Otherwise, be prepared to wait!
- Hours: Daily 24/7
- Address: 2453 18th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: 202-232-8800