I was originally planning on going to somewhere on M Street for lunch, but when I saw the tables both inside and outside of California Grill packed, I had to try it. And of course, watch out because there’s a California Grill on Vermont Ave too!
- Food:I ordered their special, the beef burrito, which was pre-made. I rarely order anything that’s pre-made and I was reminded why. You can see the photo for yourself. I can’t lie — it was horrible. The salsa was really sweet and had this weird tang. The beef was hard and overcooked. The rice was also overcooked. While it may have been $5, I would have much rather eat a $5 from the new burrito cart guy. So since I had such a dismal experience the first time, I had to go back and try it again. This time, I ordered their turkey Reuben and while it was good, I think So’s Your Mom is better.
- Service:They are really nice. Depending on what you want to order (salad, sandwich, pre-made, etc.), you order from the guy behind the right sign at the counter.
- Atmosphere: Inside it reminds me a bit of a Wendy’s (I think — it’s been so long since I’ve been in one!) with their light wood panels. It’s a pretty big restaurant so they have a lot of seating inside. They also have 4-6 tables outside.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: If your office is super close, I can see going here a lot since they are so nice and they serve decent sandwiches. For the days you’re in a rush, they can make your sandwich and get you out in less than 10 minutes which is great.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 6 AM-4:30 PM; Sat 7 AM-2:30 PM
- Address: 1720 M Street NW; Washington, DC 20036
- Ph: 202-463-4200