It had been more than a year since I had last gone here, but I just went back again. For a good year and change, no one could talk to me about Rasika without me talking about their popcorn. Have you had it? It’s an amazing combination of spices, sweet, salty, spicy — it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s truly like nothing you’ve ever had before.
- Food:I went with a friend and we were there in time for their pre-theater menu (I think it’s from 5:30-6:30 PM and $30). We ordered the calamari chili garlic which was not fried, but sauteed and absolutely delicious. Then we also ordered the seekh kebab which was spicy with fantastic flavor. For the entree, w ordered the tandoori salmon which was sweet with a hint of cardamon.
That’s right — I ordered cardamon. Here’s what I’ve figured — I don’t know like it when it’s overpowering which is what happens in a lot of Indian restaurants. Not at Rasika. It’s perfect.
I ordered the lamb pistta korma and the sauce was phenomenal while the lamb was moist, tender and awesome. For dessert, it was the gulab jamun. It’s 2 dumplings with honey drizzled and super sweet with cardamon ice cream. The carrot pudding with cinnamon sabayon was shredded carrots, cashews, raisins missed together with the sabayon holding it together. It reminded me a bit like a carrot cake without the cream cheese frosting.
- Service: Our server was incredibly nice and was helpful with telling us what was in some of the entrees. Great servers!
- Atmosphere: There is a small bar with only 10-12 stools, but there’s also 7-10 small tables and chairs in the bar. Then there are two main dining room areas. With dim lighting and comfortable Indian-inspired interior, it’s an impressive restaurant to take anyone. But it does get loud and cozy, so don’t go if you need to talk about anything you want to keep quiet!
- Attire: Business casual
- Price: $$$
- Overall: I love Rasika and I think I could eat here every week. The food is always good and the popcorn is insanely unique. I have to get that recipe!
- Reservations strongly recommended.
- Hours: Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30 am-2:30 pm; Dinner: Mon-Thu 5:30-10:30 pm, Fri 5:30-11 pm, Sat 5-11pm, Closed Sun
- Address: 633 D St, NW, Washington, DC 20004
- Ph: 202-637-1222