Similar to Capitol Ground, City Place Café has been a good addition to the Golden Triangle area. They offer good, fresh food at a reasonable price. While it is busy during the lunch hour, you can usually get in and out in 10 -15 minutes.
- Food: When I went, for some strange reason, I decided to order their special. It was grilled salmon on sourdough baguette with lettuce, tomato, and vinaigrette. I couldn’t help but think of Anthony Bourdain’s “don’t eat fish on Mondays because it’s probably fish from Friday,” even though it was a Tuesday. I feel like he also said to not order fish when it’s the special – something about how it was old and they couldn’t sell it the previous day. In this case, it could have been possible – or the person who cooked the salmon didn’t realize that salmon cooks quickly. It had a nice lemon flavor and the baguette itself was soft inside with a crispy outside, but the salmon was definitely dry. Had it not been for the vinaigrette, it would have been really bad. Regardless, it was fine and it was filling. But, definitely recommend next time staying away from the fish. I’d stick to the turkey, chicken, salad, soups, etc. Those are safe and quite good.
** Update 2/24/08 — I went again recently and tried their LA Wrap. My new favorite sandwich! Unlike a lot of places, they don’t use mayo for their tuna sandwich. I couldn’t help but feel healthy when I was done!**
- Service: The folks who own this restaurant are very nice. You order quickly and pay just as fast. It’s a great “quick” stop.
- Atmosphere: They have a few tables inside and out. I think inside is too loud with all the folks who are waiting for their lunch so if it’s nice, I’d go and sit alfresco. I think most people who come to this place are just “grabbing and going” back to their offices.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: I like it. It’s a perfect quick lunch stop. But don’t get the salmon. If you want to see their menu, it can be found here: Menu Page 1 and Menu Page 2.
- Hours: Monday-Friday 7 AM-4 PM
- Address: 1101 17th Street NW; Washington, DC 20036
- Ph: 202-466-4665