L is way more outgoing than I am, so she struck up a conversation with everyone. In this case, she asked the doorman where we should go for breakfast in the Haight-Ashbury area since we wanted to walk around the ‘hood.
He recommended Squat and Gobble in Lower Haight.
- Food: We both ordered an omelette. I ordered the West Portal with fontina cheese, lox, tomato, capers, and dill weed. Yum. There was a ridiculous amount of lox which was fantastic. L got the Lower Haight with veggies, mozzarella, and pesto sauce. It was also really good. But the star of the breakfast were the potatoes. They were crispy on the outside yet soft when you bit into them and you could taste the Rosemary seasoning which made them amazing. I’ve ordered a lot of potatoes in my life but I’ve never tasted anything like this before! I think they were the best I’ve had so far!
- Service: You order at the counter and then they bring it out. Although there were only 3 people in the entire place (counting L and I), I still had to go to the counter to ask the server for more coffee.
- Atmosphere: It’s a casual coffee shop and reminds me of Tryst, but they have no sofas, only real tables and chairs.
- Price: $
- Overall: I can forgo the omelette, but if I ever get a chance to go back to Lower Haight, I will stop in here for their potatoes. You must try the potatoes!
- Hours: 8 AM-10 PM daily (available for take-out)
- Address:237 Fillmore (between Haight and Waller)
- Ph: 415-487-0551