I came home from Seattle with no food in my fridge. I was starving and decided I really wanted some pizza. As you may have been able to tell, I don’t like eating at chain restaurants — EVER. I will if I have to, but I do try to avoid it if possible. I can appreciate chain restaurants and believe they have a role in our society, but I personally prefer local places.
So, all that was needed to basically say that I don’t order from chain pizza places. It was also raining in DC so I didn’t want to leave my apartment. I also prefer thin crust.
That’s when I decided I’d try Duccini’s Pizza.
- Food: Since I’ve never had one of their pies, so I figured I’d have to try their “Unique Pizza,”with secret sauce, ground beef, Italian salami, onions, black olives, fresh tomatoes, and extra cheese. Wow friends, wow. I can see why they have such a loyal following. It was insanely good and really hit the spot. There wasn’t too much sauce (a little heavy on the cheese which makes me think their normal pie would be perfect). What I loved more than anything though was the fact the crust was still crunchy — even though it was delivery! Plus, there were big chunks of topping. The side salad was fine but definitely unmemorable (felt I needed to eat leafy greens). I forgot to take a photo when I got it (again, super hungry) but here’s a couple of slices that I had re-heated. Oh, and they let you order online!
- Service: I ordered over the phone and the person who took my order was polite.
- Atmosphere: No idea.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: Definitely suggest putting this place on speed-dial/bookmarking! The crust is crispy with great big coarsely chopped ingredients — what else can you ask for? OK, super thin crust…still trying to find that in DC.
- Hours: Sun-Thurs 11 AM – 1 AM; Fri-Sat 11 AM – 2 AM
- Location: 1778 U St NW; Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: 202-483-0007