My favorite Mexican (not Tex-Mex) food is at Mixtec in Adams Morgan. I’ve been numerous times and have never been disappointed.
While I know they were closed recently, they’ve re-opened with a little grocery store next door.
- Food: Seriously, favorite Mexican food. I don’t care what you get, but you MUST order the fried plantains. They are the best here. The tacos are real tacos on corn tortilla, meat, cilantro, and limes. I have never gotten bad food here (nor have my many, many dining companions). It’s always a filling, but inexpensive meal. They’re known for their sandwiches, but I’ve never gotten one. The only “bad” thing here is their sangria.
- Service: Good, although sometimes it’s hit and miss. It doesn’t even matter if it’s slow or busy.
- Atmosphere: It’s incredibly casual and seats only about 40 people. It’s definitely a little crunched and during busy periods, it’s loud. But I think it adds to the atmosphere.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: Amazing. Favorite Mexican in DC. Get the plantains and love them. You will crave this food. Oh so good! Here’s their menu — click on the photo to see a bigger picture. I’ve only posted a few of the photos here, but on my flickr page you’ll see the entire menu (including brunch).
- Reservations are accepted, but usually not needed.
- Hours: Sun-Thurs 11 am- 10 pm Fri-Sat 11 am- midnight
- Address: 1792 Columbia Rd. NW; Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: 202-332-1011