I love food (as evident by this blog). But sometimes, I am craving sushi that’s quick, fast, and decent. Hence Wasabi Sushi.
- Food:I ran into Wasabi Sushi for lunch to-go (photo below). They call it “take away” and offer a different menu than their normal restaurant menu. You get 5 pieces (versus the usual 6) for the order, but it’s also cheaper. From left to right, my order was shrimp tempura & asparagus ($3.75); salmon, avocado, & sesame seeds ($3.25); and spicy tuna & scallion roll ($3.50). The middle roll was weak. It had little flavor and almost soggy (what happened?). The other two were fine rolls for the price. The bummer was that they put no chopsticks, wasabi (umm, hello — the name of your restaurant is…), or ginger in my to-go bag.
- Service:The cashiers are polite. When you actually sit down and order, the servers are friendly. Their job is pretty easy — keep you hydrated and count the color plates. They have a conveyor belt of food so you can pick and choose which plates you want. Each color signifies the price.
- Atmosphere: It’s very casual and it can be fun to go with a few friends to actually sit down for lunch/dinner.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall:It’s certainly not the best sushi in DC, but it’s fine. I go when I’ve got only a few minutes but am craving sushi. Considering it’s also super cheap, it sits well with my wallet. But I’ll have to remember to ask for wasabi, chopsticks, and ginger next time.
Happy Hour Specials:
- Daily 5-7 PM, offer many drink specials
- $2 Kirin, Kirin Light, and Sapporo
- $2 White wine (Kenwood Chardonnay or Santa Rita Sauvignon Blanc)
- $4 Red wine (Buena Vista Pinot Noir or Penfold’s Bin 2 Shiraz/Mourvedre)
- $5 Sake pitchers (Snow Beauty Nigori or Yamadanishiki)
- $7 Sake pitchers (Kaguyahime or Taru)
- Thursdays 5-9 PM, they offer a sake night so you can sample and become a connoisseur.
- Reservations are accepted.
- Hours: 11:30 AM-2:30 PM Lunch M-F; 5-9 PM Dinner M-F; Take away M-F 11:30-9 PM
- Address: 908 17th Street NW; Washington, DC 20006
- Ph: 202-822-2005