Thanks to my blogger friend VeggieLove for recommending Thai Chef because I finally went! In addition to VeggieLove’s recommendation, I was excited about trying Thai Chef because I have walked by there a million times! It’s usually pretty busy, which means popular, but not always good. In this case, it’s good! Also, here is their menu:
August 2008 Update: Thai Chef now offers free delivery from 5 PM-10 PM and a minimum $20 order.
- Food: I stopped by to pick up an order to go. For lunch, I thought I’d get an order of fried tofu and tuna and salmon nigiri. Then I ordered Pad Thai (last photo on the right) with tofu and medium spice for dinner. The tofu was crispy fried goodness and was nicely complimented by the plum-peanut dipping sauce. I wasn’t expecting too much from the nigiri, but I got to tell you — it was really good. Finally, I took a couple of bites of the Pad Thai. It wasn’t spicy at all, but there was a strong hint of peanuts (even though I didn’t want any — so a heads up to those of you who have peanut allergies!). Am sure they used peanut oil in the cooking process. The tofu was fried and there was a lot of it. Oh — and in my to-go bag, they put a packet of soy sauce for the nigiri. Nice!
- Service: Since I went for pick-up, my interaction with the servers was pretty minimal. But it seemed like people were getting what they needed, when they needed it.
- Atmosphere:With a little sushi station immediately in front of you when you walk in, there’s not as much room as you’d think in this 2-story restaurant. At the sushi station, they have these cute backless wooden stools which are surprisingly comfortable. In the summer, the floor-to-ceiling windows open. It’s a comfortable, casual restaurant.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $$
- Overall: I’m planning on going back for the fried tofu and sushi. It’s good, reasonably priced, and convenient to home! The Pad Thai was OK, but nothing special.
Happy Hour: Sun-Thurs 4-7 PM with $3 beer and wine. They have their “Drinks that Make You Brave” mixed drinks menu for $3.50; wine by the glass is $3; Sake small is $2.95 and large is $5; beer is $2. Sushi is half-priced (meaning about $3-$5).
- Reservations accepted.
- Hours: Mon-Thurs 11:30 AM-10:30 PM; Fri 11:30 AM-11 PM; Sat 12 PM-11 PM; Sun 12 PM-10:30 PM
- Address: 1712 Connecticut Ave NW; Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: (202) 234-5698