Until recently, I had only been to Regent Thai for drinks. I always thought the menu looked good and kept thinking I wanted to check out. Thankfully, I was able to convince a friend to try it out with me recently.
- Food:My friend ordered spring rolls which were really good. They were hot and crispy served with a pineapple dipping sauce. I think she ordered the Pad See Ew with vegetables. Both were really good (I preferred the spring rolls over her entree). The Pad See Ew was a little sweet for my taste — even though we had both ordered hot spice. So I’m predictable. I ordered their fried tofu and vegetable Pad Thai. The fried tofu was like eating air — it was very light. I even questioned if there was any tofu in there. The Pad Thai had a bunch of great vegetables and the spice was perfect. Plus, it wasn’t greasy.
- Service: To say it was horrible is putting it nicely. After being left alone for about 15 minutes before we even got a glass of water, by the time we did see our waitress, we were ready to order and starving. After another 15 minutes with just water, we finally got our wine — albeit the wrong one. While I do sometimes mumble when I talk, when I order food or wine, I’m pretty clear. She brought us the most expensive bottle of wine, even though we didn’t want it — and thankfully, I caught it before she opened it. When I asked my friend if I mumbled, she said no and then reminded me I said the kind of wine we did want twice.
- Atmosphere: The interior is dark with beautiful wood carvings. The tables are pretty close together so it can be difficult to hear your conversation when it’s busy.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $$
- Overall: I really enjoyed the food, but the servers left something to be desired. I’d go back, but will order for pick-up so I don’t have to deal with the service.
- Reservations accepted.
- Hours: Lunch Mon-Sat 11:30 AM-3 PM; Dinner Sun-Thurs 5 PM-10 PM and Fri-Sat 5 PM-11 PM
- Address: 1910 18th Street NW; Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: 202-232-1791