I finally figured a good fried tofu recipe. No, it’s not quite like what you get in a restaurant. Yes, I know you’re supposed to be able to make this with just corn starch.
But to me, it never quite worked and I couldn’t figure out why. So I started to think about why it wasn’t working and what I wanted to have as my end product.
That’s when it dawned on me to use panko crumbs with the corn starch.
I’m not kidding when I tell you that I love this insanely easy and quick recipe — and that I’ll now make it all the time!
- 2 TBSP of corn starch
- 1/4 cup of panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup of veggie oil
- 1 container of extra firm tofu, drained and with as much moisture as possible squeezed out
- Cut the tofu into 8 long logs (I like this because you can easily grab it when you’re putting it into the fryer and take them out)
- Put the corn starch on a plate
- Put the panko crumbs on a plate
- Heat the veggie oil until hot in a sauce pan
- Dip the tofu into the corn starch being careful to not put too much corn starch on the tofu log
- Then dip the tofu into the panko crumbs
- Once the oil is hot, carefully put the tofu log into the hot grease and let fry on each side until brown
- Then remove and let drain on a paper towel
I didn’t put any salt or pepper on the tofu, but you certainly could. This was so yummy and crispy. It was exactly what I wanted.