After hearing so many great things about Blue Duck Tavern, I finally went. Why did it take me so long to go?
- Food:I went with a client and thankfully, a cool client that’s into sharing! So we ordered their braised barbecue beef “long rib”, crab cakes, triple fried fries, and glazed baby carrots. The fries were more like logs (like when you cut tofu into eighths). But they were still insanely crispy! And readers, you know I don’t like thick fries but damn, these were so yummy! The crab cakes were definitely some of the best in town – full of crab with a little breadcrumbs to hold it all together. You know, the way crab cakes are supposed to be made. Plus, there was a remoulade sauce on the side that didn’t overwhelm. The beef was insanely tender and fell off the bone so easily. The barbecue sauce tasted like good, homemade sauce. Now on to my favorite course, dessert. We ordered the chocolate cake with a side of vanilla ice cream (had to order this separately). Our waiter made the vanilla ice cream sound like it was mind blowing good – but it wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong – the ice cream was good – rich, creamy vanilla, but it wasn’t earth shaking. The chocolate cake wasn’t overly sweet and had a fantastic dark chocolate with a light rum flavor. Yum.
- Service: Our server was nice, but a little pushy.
- Atmosphere: It has a wide open feel and hundreds of people could easily be in the restaurant and you’d never know. While they have a very open kitchen, the chefs/cooks are very quiet! The interior has dark wood tables and chairs (and accent pieces on the walls), but the floor is very light and balances out nicely. It’s comfortable and beautiful — definitely an impressive place to dine!
- Attire: Business casual
- Price: $$$
- Overall: Here’s another restaurant that would easily impress even the toughest critics. The food was cooked simply but so wonderfully! Oh and don’t be surprised when you pull up to the Park Hyatt — this amazing restaurant is on the first floor of the hotel.
- Reservations strongly recommended.
- Hours: Breakfast in the Lounge: 6:30am – 10:30am; Lunch: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Weekend Brunch: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm – 10:30pm
- Address: 1201 24th Street NW, Washington DC 20037
- Ph: (202) 419-6755