My friend was craving a Philly Steak sandwich but didn’t have a lot of time to run out for lunch so we decided to try out California Grill (when you click, there’s a link to the menu). And careful because there’s a California Grill on M Street!
- Food: I love turkey reubens like no one else so that’s what I ordered. It was solid and decent food. While we got it to go, the top of the bread was still toasted but the bottom was a bit soggy. I ordered the fries (not a cole slaw person) but would definitely skip that next time. They weren’t crispy. But the turkey was really outstanding because it tasted like it was carved, not the shaved deli-stuff (which I like too!).
- Service: I’m combining service and atmosphere here on this one. When you walk in, the line is strange and confusing. After a lot of questions, we finally figured it out. When you want to order, you need to go to the counter (underneath the menu board) and order where you’ll get a tickete. Then once your order is up, you’ll pick it up from the ledge. Then you pay.
- Atmosphere: See above. It’s definitely casual and it’s funny because directly acrosss from the cash register is their “back office” where they have their employee time clock, invoices, etc. They do have a lot of seating, but there’s not a tremendous amount of ambiance.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: I’ll go back because after the ~$6 sandwich, I didn’t eat dinner. It was insanely filling.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 7 AM-4 PM; closed Sunday
- Address: 1090 Vermont Ave NW; Washington, DC 20005
- Ph: (202) 408-8484