I had gone to Tonic for a drink before when a friend and I were waiting for a couple of seats to open at Adam Express. We decided to go back when Thai Fest Day was cancelled due to the rain. Although we didn’t know that and so we drove up there. Then when we realized there was no one else and no tents, we drove back and remembered Tonic was on our way home.
- Food: I ordered the BBQ chicken sandwich with the BBQ sauce on the side. The chicken sandwich was good, but a little on the dry side. Thankfully, the BBQ sauce and the beer helped it all go down easily. But the key was the tater tots. Yes, the same little golden potato nuggets the school lunch lady served you. First of all, I don’t know a lot of restaurants that serve “tots” in DC. But whatever because Tonic serves ’em right — meaning they’re crispy and hot!
- Service: I love these bartenders. They crack me up with their dry wit. If you can’t take sarcasm, then don’t sit at the bar.
- Atmosphere: I’ve never been to the main dining room floor because we always (that’s the two times I’ve been) go to the bar in the basement. It’s a comfortable bar with three flat screen TVs (sometimes they’re on various sports games or sometimes, it’s on random movies/TV shows like Charlie’s Angels). It’s also dark so it’d be a perfect place to spend a rainy, crappy day.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $$
- Overall: The “tots” are reason enough to come back for more. But add the fact they’ve got a nice selection of beer and fun bartenders and you’ve got a perfect neighborhood bar and restaurant.
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 5-7 PM: half price draft beer, drinks and burgers. Tuesdays: get a free bottle of select wines with a purchase of two entrees. Wednesdays: kids under 12 eat free from the kid’s menu 5-8 PM with the purchase of one entree.
- Hours:Restaurant Sun-Thurs 5-10:30 PM, Fri & Sat 5-11 PM; Brunch Sat & Sun 10 AM-3 PM; Bar Sun-Thurs 5-2 AM; Fri & Sat 5-3 AM; Pick-up available 5-11 daily
- Address: 3155 Mt. Pleasant Street; Washington, DC 20010
- Ph: 202-986-7661