My friend and I had tried to go to Inti Peruvian earlier but they are closed on Mondays (something they don’t tell you on their Web site).
- Food: To start, we shared the chicken tamale. I’m not usually a huge tamale fan, but this one was really good. What I loved was that the ingredients weren’t chopped up so fine that you couldn’t tell what it was — there were nice chunks of egg, pepper, shredded chicken, etc. Then my friend ordered the Seco a la Nortena con Frijoles which was so tender and delicious. I thought it was a great choice! I ordered the Picante de Mariscos and was disappointed with rubbery seafood. But the sauce was really good, especially when I added their green chili sauce. There were two huge mussels though on either side of the seafood which were quite impressive. BTW, the green chili sauce wasn’t really spicy, but it did add a tiny amount of heat.
- Service: Our server was really polite and I liked her. She also had good timing — she was there when we needed her and otherwise, left us alone. I like that.
- Atmosphere: So when we walked down the steps, we weren’t sure if we should go to the door on the left or the right. We went to the door on the right, although I think both would have worked. Then they told us that we could sit outside. Really? So we were surprised that outside was an option. Inside they have 12-15 tables but outside, they have a cute deck with 8 tables with huge umbrellas that keep you covered. At night, they have holiday lights on the inside of the tables. The inside of the restaurant doesn’t have a lot of atmosphere, but it works. It seems to be comfortable and cozy, but I’d suggest sitting outside if you can.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $$
- Overall:So other than my chewy seafood, I also have to complain about the fact that they didn’t give us any bread (even though we saw everyone else on the patio get a basket!) but we did get this interesting corn thing — kinda like corn nuts but without a lot of flavor. Overall, I’d go back. I love their small, but comfortable patio. Next time, I’ll try their beef or chicken entree.
- Reservations not required
- Hours: Tues-Thurs 11 AM-10 PM; Fri & Sat 11 AM-11 PM; Sun 11 AM-9 PM; Closed on Mondays
- Address:1825 18th St. NW, Washington DC 20009
- Ph: (202) 797-0744