I love The Diner. It’s like those old jeans that are perfectly broken in. It might not be fancy, but it’s just good and you know what you’re going to get at all times. So imagine my joy when they opened Open City. Oddly enough though, I hadn’t gone until just recently.
- Food:I ordered the chorizo scramble which was pretty good. There was lots of chorizo in the eggs. The hash browns were shredded and I was bummed because they weren’t crispy. But they did have good flavor. And the coffee they served was in the big cappuccino mugs, like what they serve at Tryst. I wonder why they don’t do that at The Diner.
- Service: Our server was fine, but like The Diner, they’re a bit scattered. Sometimes you get a refill on coffee, sometimes you don’t.
- Atmosphere:They have horrible acoustics so don’t go with a low talker! It’s really loud and I kept having to ask, “What” when I was trying to talk with my friend.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: Unlike The Diner, Open City has outdoor seating which is really nice. But Open City has more options than the standard breakfast and that makes me a fan. Plus, I love the big mugs of coffee. Like The Diner, expect a line on the weekends! But here’s a tip — if you get there before 10 AM, your wait won’t be too long.
- Reservations not accepted.
- Hours: Mon-Fri 6 am – midnight Sat-Sun 6 am – 1 am
- Address: 2331 Calvert Street NW; Washington, DC 20008
- Ph: 202-332-2331