While there is construction occurring around Cafe Soleil, they are still open. However, I think their outside seating is no longer being offered until the construction is completed.
- Food:First of all, their online menu and what they offer is different. I really wanted to order their seafood linguine, but it wasn’t available. Once my friend and I sat down, they came around with a huge basket of rolls and they cover it up, which makes one think it’s going to be hot rolls. They’re not. They’re cold. Anyway, we then ordered their fried calamari. It was lightly breaded so that made it good. The menu said it was coming with tartar sauce, but it was more of an aoili I think. I ordered the lamb burger and it had a great meat-to-bun ratio. Plus, the bun was perfectly grilled. Despite it’s messiness, it was delicious. There was a little too much cheese for me (overpowered the lamb a little), but it was good. I liked it. The sweet potato fries were crispy, but they were cold. If they would have been hot, it would have been great. Also, they served it with ketchup but that overpowered the sweet potato fries flavor. I would serve it with some other sauce. Then we shared the chocolate molten cake which was good. It wasn’t too sweet and full of dark chocolate goodness.
- Service: To put it bluntly, it was horrible. Despite the near empty restaurant, the servers were absent. We waited for what felt like forever to get a wine list and then to order our wine. When we said we would order our food too, the guy said he’d bring our server over. When the server finally came back to take our dinner order, we never saw him again until our plates had been cleared and we were looking around to grab the dessert menu. Seriously not good.
- Atmosphere: It’s actually bigger than it seems with a lot of seating in the back. They’ve got a small bar with about 10-12 seats.
- Attire: Business casual/casual
- Price: $$
- Overall: I probably won’t run to go back due to their dismal service. But I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to eating their food again. At the end of the day though for me, service is a huge reason why I go back to any restaurant so even if they had the best food in the world, bad service isn’t worth it.
- Hours: Monday – Friday 7:00am – 10:00pm; Saturday & Sunday 8:00am – 10:00pm
- Address: 836 17th Street NW; Washington, DC 20006
- Ph: 202-974-4260