Nando’s Peri Peri has certainly made a tremendous mark on the city. I feel like it was the “It” restaurant for a few months. Anyway, I finally went to try their chicken and to see what those of us in Golden Triangle have to look forward to when it opens. Here’s their main menu and their take-out menu is here.
- Food:I felt it was wrong if I didn’t order their chicken so I ordered the 1/4 chicken with medium spice (always feel like medium spice is safe) with a side of their butternut squash and grilled corn. First, the chicken. It wasn’t super spicy so then I got a couple of containers (when you pay, ask the cashier for it, not the person who hands you the bag). Anyway, in the 4th photo, you’ll see I put in the hot sauce (left) and lemon & herb (right) sauce. The hot sauce definitely had a good kick, but not crazy hot. The herb sauce had a pungent vinegar smell and a bit of an overwhelming vinegar taste, but it’s OK. The chicken is moist, but not as moist as La Granja De Oro. The butternut squash side was good, but not a ton of flavor. Next time, I’ll try some of their other sides.
- Service: I phoned my order in so I wouldn’t have to wait since I had limited time. So I was pleased when I placed my order they asked if they wanted the chicken to be done before I got there or if they should wait until I arrive. I asked to have it done before. Unfortunately, something was lost in translation because I ended up having to wait. But all their staff were nice and friendly.
- Atmosphere: Their Interior is comfortable and inviting and makes one think your meal will cost way more than it actually will. There’s a lot of seating — booths in the back and tables in the front. The way they work reminds me of Noodles & Company except when you walk in, you are greeted with a number. Then you put down your things and order at the register/counter. They then will bring your food at your table and clear your dishes when you’re done.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: Would I go back? Since my meal cost under $9, it’s a tasty bargain. Does it beat La La Granja De Oro’s 1/4 chicken for under $7? Definitely not…but it’s still good.
- Hours: 11:30 AM -10 PM Sun-Thurs; 11:30 AM-10:30 PM Fri & Sat
- Address: 819 7th St NW; Washington, DC 20001
- Ph: (202) 898-1225