I used to go to the Safeway across the street from Pollo Granjero on a weekly basis — then the Harris Teeter opened up and well, I rarely go anymore. But, during one of the warmer “winter” days we were having, I decided to make the hike — twice. And, I even took a photo of their menus!
- Food: The first time I ordered the 5 piece grilled chicken with fried yuca and salad (you get a choice of two sides). The chicken was greasy with a subtle, mild flavor. And when I opened my container, I didn’t see 5 pieces of chicken (do you?). The five pieces cost $7.99. In my opinion, the best rotisserie chicken is still at La Granja De Oro.
I went back a second time because I heard they had the best fried chicken. This time, I only went for two pieces. Their mixture is not a heavy coating, but it isn’t light either. You can detect a slight taste of cornmeal in their batter. The best? I wasn’t convinced, but it was good.
- Service: It’s fine.
- Atmosphere: It’s a fast food-type establishment so ambiance isn’t their thing. They do have a decent number of tables and chairs though.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall: I think it’s a decent place for inexpensive food. But since it’s a bit inconvient for me to go and La Granja De Oro (and my own rotisserie) is closer, well, you know.
- Hours: Not sure, but I think it’s probably 10:30 AM-9/10 PM Daily
- Address: 1742 Columbia Rd (between N Champlain St & N Ontario Rd); Washington, DC 20009
- Ph: (202) 464-4444