Next to Java Green (the best vegan place), Cafe Chopsticks opened. Well, actually the restaurant opened in July 2008 and after giving them a month to sort out any “bugs,” I thought it was about time I tried the place out. BTW, here’s their menu:
- Food:I ordered the veggie ramen which at first, was delicious. I’ll talk about my initial thoughts on the food first, then go into the after-thoughts. The broth wasn’t too salty and had a little heat. The ramen noodles were cooked perfectly. The problems with the vegetable ramen? There weren’t a lot of veggies — a couple of bean sprouts, spinach, and tiny shreds of what appeared to be carrots, zucchini, and green onions. I slurped my way through the bowl and while I was incredibly full, I also felt there was a weird after-taste. Is there MSG in their soup? Does anyone know? And while I was there, I saw someone’s bento box. It was huge! Think the size of a cafeteria tray — wow, a lot of food I think!
- Service: When you walk in, you can either look at their board or at takeout menus. Then you order and pay at the counter. They give you a number and you wait until it’s called.
- Atmosphere:The interior is quite spacious and comfortable — a bit Zen-like. Unlike some restaurants, they don’t cram too many tables and chairs. Plus, they use eco-friend containers and utensils, recycled napkins, etc. All good stuff!
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall:I really liked the veggie ramen, but would love it even more if they had more veggies in there. Also, I’d love to know if they add MSG to their soup. I think for now, I’ll stick to Java Green’s “chicken” ramen. But I’ll go back to try their very reasonably priced sushi and a bento box. BTW, they do offer delivery, but only within a 3 block radius, a $70 minimum order, 5% delivery charge, and 24-hour notice.
- Hours: Monday-Friday 10:30 AM-9 PM
- Address: 1020 19th Street NW; Washington DC 20036
- Ph: 202-429-1705