You may recall that I had mentioned Asia Nora was going to be closing December 21st. I went with a friend (and someone I’m trying to persuade to guest food blog for me — nudge nudge!) and we were both excited about going since we had both heard such great things.
- Food:I wanted to save up for dessert since I heard it was fantastic here, so I didn’t get an app or salad. My friend ordered local beet salad with avocado, ruby grapefruit, and arugula. It was fine, but nothing really special. I ordered the Hoisin Glazed Pekin Duck Breast with Five Spice Spaetzle and Braised Red Cabbage with 2 baby scarlet queen turnips and gingered duck jus. My friend ordered the Ginger Roasted Pork Loin with Crispy Leeks and Tonkatsu Sauce with wilted baby spinach and roasted jalapeno polenta cake. Both of our dishes were good, but I didn’t feel like it was the best meal of my life (BTW, that would be at Tom Colicchio’s Craft which was absolutely phenomenal). The polenta cake was good and spicy. I ordered the warm chocolate five spice cake with Vietnamese coffee ice cream and a sesame tuile. My friend ordered the warm banana cake with caramel ginger ice cream, grilled banana, and chocolate sauce. Both of our desserts were really good.
- Service: She was polite and courteous. We also asked for recommendations and she was very helpful.
- Atmosphere: It was definitely a small and dark dining area downstairs (no idea what it looks like upstairs).
- Attire: Business casual
- Price: $$$
- Overall:I’m not going to be sad when it closes. I thought it was fine, but I wasn’t wow’ed. The reputation of dessert was true, but the rest of the meal didn’t hold up. When you think of the price of the meal, shouldn’t you feel like it was worth it? I do appreciate the local and organic ingredients though.
- Reservations are required.
- Hours: Mon-Thurs 5:30-10 PM; Fri & Sat 5:30-10 :30 PM
- Address: 2213 M Street NW; Washington, DC 20037
- Ph: 202-797-4860