One of my all-time favorite restaurants in DC is Hook. Is it the fact that it’s an organic and sustainable restaurant in DC? Is it the fact that the pastry chef is so widely respected? Or is it because Barton Seaver is such a cutie? Yeah…
- Food: To start off the meal, I ordered the calamari salad which had a great grilled, simple flavor. So fresh and so good. For my main course, I ordered the seared Steel Head Trout. The flavor of the fish was simple and was a bit like salmon (but less oily!). My dining companions ordered the Artic Char which had a great grilled taste and the Sablefish (my least favorite of the table). For dessert, we ordered the Apple Tart (with almond frangipane, caramel sauce, and bourbon ice cream), donuts and coffee, and Bittersweet Chocolate Torte (with caramel ice cream, salted cashews). My favorite dessert was the donuts and coffee — although they were much smaller than Buddakan, they were equally delicious.
- Service: Their servers are put through an intense one week course on fish so they are able to talk to diners about what the fish tastes like (and what it’s similar to). They’re also always polite and really good. They know when to stop by to see how the food is and also when to leave the table alone. I get a sense that most are professional servers.
- Atmosphere: At the end of the meal with the bill, they give everyone a fish handout to take with you on what fish is OK to eat and what isn’t (as far as being sustainable.
- Attire: Business casual
- Price: $$$
- Overall: This is one of my favorite restaurants in DC because the food is cooked simply but amazing. The sides that accompany the main entree compliment perfectly. The appetizers are amazing. Desserts are ridiculously good. The servers are fantastic. There’s nothing else you can say — all good. If you haven’t been, you must!
- Reservations are strongly recommended.
- Hours: Dinner: Sunday – Tuesday 5pm to 10pm, Wednesday – Saturday 5pm to 11pm; Lunch: Tuesday – Friday 11:30am to 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am to 2:30 pm
- Address: 3241 M St NW, Washington, DC 20007
- Ph: (202) 625-4488