Organic To Go has taken over downtown DC (or at least it seems). This chain has come out of no where to suddenly seem as ubiquitous as Pot Belly or Cosi. I had to check it out and see if there was substance to the hype.
- Food: I have to combine service, atmosphere, and food together for this one. First of all, from their cafe menu, it appears they have a lot of great sandwiches. However, what they don’t tell you is that more than half of them are actually pre-made. I hate pre-made sandwiches so that immediately removed a number of the sandwiches. To see what is available, you have to look at the limited list of sandwiches on the board (above the cash registers) and then there’s more sandwiches at the sandwich counter (but they’re not labeled so you don’t know what kind they are). Now that you know what sandwiches are actually available and you determine which one you want, you then order at the register and pay. Then your sandwich can be picked up at the counter. Anyway, I finally figured out I wanted the turkey veggie (photo on the left) and my friend ordered the turkey pepper jack (photo on the right). The turkey veggie was good. But my friend’s description of the turkey pepper jack was awesome — she said it was greasy and tasted like McDonald’s Sausage McMuffin. Strange and relieving I didn’t order it. Oh, and they were doing inventory when I was there (at about 11:30 AM) — kinda strange to do it at that time.
- Service: The cashier people were nice, but the counter people were not, so I never did find out what was in the counter sandwich display.
- Atmosphere: See “food” section above.
- Attire: Casual
- Price: $
- Overall:I have to wonder if they thought the fast expansion through. For being a chain with multiple stores in multiple cities, it seems they grew too fast and didn’t take the time to make sure they could actually make the food correctly. Plus, they had a sign when I was there that said they were no longer making pizza since they couldn’t guarantee uniformity with corporate. Before they open up any more stores, I’d suggest first streamlining the ordering process and making it clear which sandwiches are available freshly made versus pre-made. Then we can talk about what exactly is in that turkey pepper jack that makes it taste like a Sausage McMuffin…
- Hours: M-F / 6:30AM – 4:00PM
- Address: 927 15th Street NW; Washington, DC 20005
- Ph: 800-304-4550